Teatro Angelo Mariani

Reservation Guided Tours
338.9213702 (Benito Mario Nalin)

[web] www.teatromariani.it
[@] info@teatromariani.it


Opening days of the theater:

Summer (da giugno a settembre) Saturday and Sundayfrom 10:00 to 18:30 Other Daysfrom 15:00 to 18:30 Winter, Spring, Autumn (da ottobre a maggio) Saturday and Sundayfrom 10:00 to 18:30 Other Daysclose

The history of Theater

The Angelo Mariani Theatre, built entirely of wood, is one of the oldest in Italy. The enchanted atmosphere of this place captivated the great actor and director Vittorio Gassman, who chose to complete his reading of Dante’s Divine Comedy here in 1992, and worked tirelessly to promote its restoration. The theatre was originally inside the building known as Il Palazzone or Palazzo della Ragione (the Sant’Agata Feltria Archaeology Museum is currently being set up on the upper floor), commissioned in 1605 by Orazio Fregoso, count of the former Rectorate of Sant’Agata Feltria, and destined to house the administrative offices and provide spaces for the local youth. The cavea is shaped like an elongated letter “U”, and there are three tiers each with fifteen boxes, reached by narrow corridors. Work was begun in 1723 and completed in 1753 by Giovanni Vannucci. The entrance was made by eliminating the fourth box in the first tier, a most original solution, since the entrance to a theatre is traditionally at the back, opposite the stage. The second and third tiers are adorned with patterns of drapes and lace, painted in tempera, and there are nine medallions whit portraits in oils showing personages famous in the spheres of music and theatre or on the local scene. In time the theatre became progressively more refined and cultured, the exclusive domain of the wealthy new local bourgeoisie. In 1838 a society was formed, later entitled Accademia Filarmonica, and in April 1841 the society invited to Sant’Agata Feltria Angelo Mariani, destined to become one of the foremost orchestral conductors of his time and one of the greatest interpreters of the operas of his friends Giuseppe Verdi. And it was with the performance of Verdi’s Rigoletto on the 8th September 1922 that the theatre reached the height of his fame. On this occasion the music was provided by part of the orchestra of Milan’s La Scala theatre. But in the post-war years the theatre fell into decline. In 1986 the Municipality took over the tiers from the owners, Società Condomini, and began restoration work, which was completed in 2002.

Photo Gallery